Skip to main content

Investing Less, Earning More

Could investing $13,000 be better than investing $70,000? In this case, the answer seems to be yes.

In Making Money Made Simple, Noel Whittaker compares two hypothetical investors:

Person 1: Invests $ 1,000 a year from age 18-30.
Person 2: Invests $ 2,000 a year from age 30-65.

You might think that person 2 would be better off, but here's how it goes (in chart form):


Person 1 stops investing at 30, but their investment keeps growing. At that point, person 1's yearly growth is more than person 2's yearly contribution. That's why person 2 never catches up.

Person 1 ends up about $ 150,000 ahead, despite investing about one-fifth of what the person 2 invested.

What if growth isn't so good?

These calculations assume 10% growth. What if it isn't that high?

Fair point. I've run the numbers at lower rates of growth. At 9%, person 1 is still better off. At 8% it's close, and person 2 comes out slightly ahead. But that's not really the point.

One investment is one-fifth the size of the other (smaller contributions and a shorter time). The fact that this is anywhere near a close finish is mind-boggling.

Person 1 has earnt about 50 times their money back. For Person 2 it's less than 8 times. That's the benefit of starting early.

It's the tortoise and the hare

If you measure from when each person starts investing, person 2 does go up more quickly. But person 1 is further ahead because they started earlier and just kept going.

For instance, after 35 years of investing person 2 has about half a million. Person 1 had just $200,000 after 35 years of investing. It's a slower initial rate (like the tortoise) but because of the earlier start, they still had another twelve years of growth to come.

The maths of compound growth means that the bulk of the earnings come in the later years. The earlier the start, the more productive those later years can be.

What if I'm older?

If you're in your 30s or 40s, you might be cursing your luck. But the principle still holds for you - better to start now than wait until 55.

If you're 45 or older, perhaps show this concept to your teenager - if they're interested in making hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If you're a teenager or young adult, then congratulations. You have the most important asset. Time.

What else?

See more of my finance articles or get the monthly email for more stuff like this in the future.

Comments

  1. My mind is always blown when I see these comparisons! I'd love to see another version with actual ages taken out and replaced with "# of years of investing". Less disheartening for those of us who didn't start at 18. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michelle.
      Yeah it's tricky. The purpose was to powerfully illustrate the specific example given in the book I'd read. I hoped converting the numbers into a timeline would graphically show that an early investor is always better off (at any point on the journey).
      I considered leaving off the numbers entirely, introducing a third person who doesn't start until 50 (to give heart to the 30 year-old reader) or having a 30-year old starter who catches up by investing even more. But none of these seemed as impactful and clear as the original point - so I stuck with that.
      I thought of making the horizontal axis "years of investing" but thought that would be confusing (as it would end at 47). A great deal of my point is that the early investor does just 13 years of (active) investing and never adds again - that compound growth does so much of the work.
      Having said all that I hope that the 30-something can still see that person 2 still gets a very juicy outcome, from a relatively tiny annual saving.
      I still have plenty more finance ideas up my sleeve for future articles, so I hope you've subscribed :) As someone who's definitely older than 18, I can assure you I'm very much thinking of people who are further along the journey, even if this article was most impactful for people too young to have ever seen a fax machine ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't dump on charities

Netflix causes mass dumping. Here's an alternative. January is usually a big month for physical donations to charity. In 2019 it's been over-the-top (literally) as charity donation bins have been overflowing with items. The Netflix series "Tidying Up" by famous declutterer Marie Kondo (see her book ) has inspired many to declutter their homes. But in the process they've cluttered the streets. What's so bad about donating? When the bins overflow the extra items are thrown away. Having been in the weather, the rain and on the ground, they are classified as contaminated and cannot be sold. To make it worse, much of what fills the bins is not good enough to sell, and is also dumped. Bad donations hurt charities 13 million dollars. That's how much it costs charities to deal with all the junk we dump on them - 60,000 tonnes a year. Lifeline says half its stores have stopped accepting donations. We might think we're helping, but that's a lot ...

Why millionaires don't "feel" rich

We're wealthier than ever - so why don't we feel like it? Australia has gone almost three decades without recession. The stock market recently hit a record high. Our wages are record highs. Home loan rates are at record lows. We live in one of the richest countries in the world at the richest point in history. So what's wrong? Comparison Wealth is relative. So what do we compare to? Where we expect to be? "When your wages growth is only 2 or 3 per cent, you don't feel as well-off as when it's going up 10 per cent. That's that nominal distortion that people often suffer from" , says economist Shane Oliver, and that "expectations have grown a lot faster than reality." We're earning more than last year, but we want even more. So compared to our imaginary situation, we see ourselves as worse off. What we see around us? Shane Oliver again. "If you think about it - Australians today are a lot wealthier. They're living far ric...

This could all be yours

This cartoon kind of happened to me on the weekend. Joking about death My dad has his own unique sense of humour. Flippantly he joked that when he passes away, the first thing I'll need to do is get a rubbish skip (maybe two) and jam it full with all the junk from the garage. I was reminded of Marie Kondo, who says in her book that we have to deal with items either now or later; so it might as well be now. For people who have retired, I guess there's a third option: Ignore it for a few more decades and let descendants deal with it. Don't get me wrong - my dad has plenty of years left yet. But from his joke I'm guessing he's reasonably happy to let it all sit there while he enjoys retired life. Why not deal with it? I can kind of understand. It's an overwhelming task (even to look at). There's also the "I might need that" factor. Which is fair enough, but even if an item is needed, is it findable in amongst everything else? About half the ...