Skip to main content

The rule of 72

Here's a superquick way to work out how much money your investments might make.

No need for fancy exponential maths. Just simple division and some doubling. Maybe you can even do it it your head.

The rule of 72

Years to double = 72 / growth rate

That's it. Pretty simple. Just 72 divided by a number.

Working out the double-time

So a 2% investment would take 36 years to double in value. (72 divided by 2)

At 6% it would take 12 years, and at 8% it would take 9 years.

How many doubles?

Let's say someone is investing $50k for 36 years.

  • At 2%, it would double once. Result $100k.

  • At 6%, it would double three times. (36 years divided by 12 years).
    Three doubles means it becomes 100k, 200k, then $400k.

  • At 8%, it would double four times. (36 years divided by 9 years).
    Four doubles means it becomes 100k, 200k, 400k, then $800k.

This is astounding

I was stunned when I first came across this. I probably still am.

It's amazing to think that moving from 2% to 6% changes things a $50k gain into a $350k gain. That's triple the rate of growth, but seven times the amount of earnings.

Perhaps even weirder is that the small percentage change (from 6% to 8%) adds another $400k.

I guess that's the awesome power of doubling.

Real-world effect

Discovering this has motivated me on to invest more money. I had most of my money just sitting in savings accounts. I had intended to invest, but hadn't got around to it. (To be clear I'm talking about money that I won't need to spend for years).

Then I saw the maths. Even by investing a smaller amount (compared to the earlier example) and for a shorter time; the long-term benefit is greater than a year's wages. Realising that fact really drove the message home.

If making that investment has the same financial effect as working for a whole year, I know which I'd prefer to do. What a simple way to free up a year of my life, with no damage to my long-term financial health.

Starting early

While I discovered the rule of 72 only recently, those who discover it at a younger age have a real benefit. The early someone starts, the more doubling they can do. It could make an enormous difference to their future selves.

But wait, there's less

This is not about become a mega-multi-millionaire. This is about realising that there are different ways to fund our life.

We don't have to trade away all our time for money. We can spend more of our time doing meaningful things, helping others, and generally doing the things that light us up.

Hopefully we can use the rule of 72 to make sure we're not trapped in a job until 72.

More on Money

This is part of my money maths series. Not financial advice. Just showing the simple maths that can make a real difference to our lives.

For a more detailed way to calculated investment returns, see the magic of compound growth.

For future articles, subscribe to my monthly(-ish) email.

Disclaimer

This information is general in nature and does not take into account your personal situation. It is not financial advice. If you need specific advice on your circumstances or finances you should speak to an expert.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't dump on charities

Netflix causes mass dumping. Here's an alternative. January is usually a big month for physical donations to charity. In 2019 it's been over-the-top (literally) as charity donation bins have been overflowing with items. The Netflix series "Tidying Up" by famous declutterer Marie Kondo (see her book ) has inspired many to declutter their homes. But in the process they've cluttered the streets. What's so bad about donating? When the bins overflow the extra items are thrown away. Having been in the weather, the rain and on the ground, they are classified as contaminated and cannot be sold. To make it worse, much of what fills the bins is not good enough to sell, and is also dumped. Bad donations hurt charities 13 million dollars. That's how much it costs charities to deal with all the junk we dump on them - 60,000 tonnes a year. Lifeline says half its stores have stopped accepting donations. We might think we're helping, but that's a lot ...

This could all be yours

This cartoon kind of happened to me on the weekend. Joking about death My dad has his own unique sense of humour. Flippantly he joked that when he passes away, the first thing I'll need to do is get a rubbish skip (maybe two) and jam it full with all the junk from the garage. I was reminded of Marie Kondo, who says in her book that we have to deal with items either now or later; so it might as well be now. For people who have retired, I guess there's a third option: Ignore it for a few more decades and let descendants deal with it. Don't get me wrong - my dad has plenty of years left yet. But from his joke I'm guessing he's reasonably happy to let it all sit there while he enjoys retired life. Why not deal with it? I can kind of understand. It's an overwhelming task (even to look at). There's also the "I might need that" factor. Which is fair enough, but even if an item is needed, is it findable in amongst everything else? About half the ...

Why millionaires don't "feel" rich

We're wealthier than ever - so why don't we feel like it? Australia has gone almost three decades without recession. The stock market recently hit a record high. Our wages are record highs. Home loan rates are at record lows. We live in one of the richest countries in the world at the richest point in history. So what's wrong? Comparison Wealth is relative. So what do we compare to? Where we expect to be? "When your wages growth is only 2 or 3 per cent, you don't feel as well-off as when it's going up 10 per cent. That's that nominal distortion that people often suffer from" , says economist Shane Oliver, and that "expectations have grown a lot faster than reality." We're earning more than last year, but we want even more. So compared to our imaginary situation, we see ourselves as worse off. What we see around us? Shane Oliver again. "If you think about it - Australians today are a lot wealthier. They're living far ric...