Skip to main content

22 towels

They were in a few different places so we didn't realise until today that we had 22 towels. That seems a lot for two people. So we had a cut session.

It's a bit like the sports coach who has to pick the final team from a squad of players. In that spirit, we picked our final line-up of 4 bath towels, 2 guest towels, 4 beach towels and one guest beach towel.

As I write this, even 11 sounds like a lot. But we're making progress. Also, we know of someone in need who could use a towel or two - so that's also a great incentive to lighten our load.

PS. As I wrote this I assumed that 22 was an unusually large number for two people. It just seemed big. Perhaps it's normal. What do you think? How many do you have?

Comments

  1. A lot! More than 22...they are almost all inherited. For 2 people and a dog I have about 4 beach towels, 6 main towels, 2 lightweight camping towels, 6 guest towels and about 10 towels that are very ratty and used for the dog (dog blankets, cleaning up muddy paws, etc). I plan to use them until they're beyond repair (they will continue to get downgraded until they're too ratty even to use on the dog) then give them to my husband who will use them as shop rags...except the camping towels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't dump on charities

Netflix causes mass dumping. Here's an alternative. January is usually a big month for physical donations to charity. In 2019 it's been over-the-top (literally) as charity donation bins have been overflowing with items. The Netflix series "Tidying Up" by famous declutterer Marie Kondo (see her book ) has inspired many to declutter their homes. But in the process they've cluttered the streets. What's so bad about donating? When the bins overflow the extra items are thrown away. Having been in the weather, the rain and on the ground, they are classified as contaminated and cannot be sold. To make it worse, much of what fills the bins is not good enough to sell, and is also dumped. Bad donations hurt charities 13 million dollars. That's how much it costs charities to deal with all the junk we dump on them - 60,000 tonnes a year. Lifeline says half its stores have stopped accepting donations. We might think we're helping, but that's a lot ...

This could all be yours

This cartoon kind of happened to me on the weekend. Joking about death My dad has his own unique sense of humour. Flippantly he joked that when he passes away, the first thing I'll need to do is get a rubbish skip (maybe two) and jam it full with all the junk from the garage. I was reminded of Marie Kondo, who says in her book that we have to deal with items either now or later; so it might as well be now. For people who have retired, I guess there's a third option: Ignore it for a few more decades and let descendants deal with it. Don't get me wrong - my dad has plenty of years left yet. But from his joke I'm guessing he's reasonably happy to let it all sit there while he enjoys retired life. Why not deal with it? I can kind of understand. It's an overwhelming task (even to look at). There's also the "I might need that" factor. Which is fair enough, but even if an item is needed, is it findable in amongst everything else? About half the ...

What to do with 128 pens?

I never need buy a pen again. Ever. The pen round-up. I searched the house for pens and gathered them up. We had 128. Woah - that's more than I expected. Then it was test-time. (You can get a lot done watching summer sport ;). Good ones went on the table. Broken ones in the box. Pen operations I saved a few 'broken' pens, by taking working insides and matching them with functional outsides. Particularly much-loved pens, for sentimental reasons, were given a life-extending 'ink transplant'. Final Tally We ended up with 67 broken pens and 61 good ones. And about 10 pencils. What to do with 67 broken pens? In my city Biome recycles pens . It's as easy as taking them into the store and dropping them into the giant collection box. Decluttering and recycling together - I love it. A lifetime of pens An average pen writes 45,000 words. So that dedicated shopping list pen on the fridge could write a 20-word shopping list for 43 years. Our 61 pens repre...