Skip to main content

The surprising lesson a retro computer game taught me about joy

As we downsize i'm finding some things I'd half-forgotten I own. Like this retro Casio handheld computer game.


I decided to sell it - especially as it turns out they are a bit of a collector's item. I mentioned this to a computer-game-loving friend of mine. He suggested I hold on to it for "investment value but also because it's cool to have old stuff like this" but also said to put it online if I "really need the space".

That last bit got me thinking. It's not really about the space - the game's only the size of a mobile phone. We have sold more than 200 items now, so I guess the space adds up. But the amount of space wasn't a big driving factor.

The famous Kon Mari method says to give away things that doesn't bring you joy. I think I would adjust that slightly. This game still brings me a little joy. I play it for a minute or two every couple of years when I stumble across it - often when looking for something else in that drawer. But is that worth keeping it for?

I've figured out that part of my motivation is about increasing joy. At the moment it brings me a little joy. But it could be a real blessing to someone who really appreciates it. Sure I'll miss out slightly, but the sale price will make up for that and someone else can get the joy the game was designed to give.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't dump on charities

Netflix causes mass dumping. Here's an alternative. January is usually a big month for physical donations to charity. In 2019 it's been over-the-top (literally) as charity donation bins have been overflowing with items. The Netflix series "Tidying Up" by famous declutterer Marie Kondo (see her book ) has inspired many to declutter their homes. But in the process they've cluttered the streets. What's so bad about donating? When the bins overflow the extra items are thrown away. Having been in the weather, the rain and on the ground, they are classified as contaminated and cannot be sold. To make it worse, much of what fills the bins is not good enough to sell, and is also dumped. Bad donations hurt charities 13 million dollars. That's how much it costs charities to deal with all the junk we dump on them - 60,000 tonnes a year. Lifeline says half its stores have stopped accepting donations. We might think we're helping, but that's a lot ...

Why millionaires don't "feel" rich

We're wealthier than ever - so why don't we feel like it? Australia has gone almost three decades without recession. The stock market recently hit a record high. Our wages are record highs. Home loan rates are at record lows. We live in one of the richest countries in the world at the richest point in history. So what's wrong? Comparison Wealth is relative. So what do we compare to? Where we expect to be? "When your wages growth is only 2 or 3 per cent, you don't feel as well-off as when it's going up 10 per cent. That's that nominal distortion that people often suffer from" , says economist Shane Oliver, and that "expectations have grown a lot faster than reality." We're earning more than last year, but we want even more. So compared to our imaginary situation, we see ourselves as worse off. What we see around us? Shane Oliver again. "If you think about it - Australians today are a lot wealthier. They're living far ric...

This could all be yours

This cartoon kind of happened to me on the weekend. Joking about death My dad has his own unique sense of humour. Flippantly he joked that when he passes away, the first thing I'll need to do is get a rubbish skip (maybe two) and jam it full with all the junk from the garage. I was reminded of Marie Kondo, who says in her book that we have to deal with items either now or later; so it might as well be now. For people who have retired, I guess there's a third option: Ignore it for a few more decades and let descendants deal with it. Don't get me wrong - my dad has plenty of years left yet. But from his joke I'm guessing he's reasonably happy to let it all sit there while he enjoys retired life. Why not deal with it? I can kind of understand. It's an overwhelming task (even to look at). There's also the "I might need that" factor. Which is fair enough, but even if an item is needed, is it findable in amongst everything else? About half the ...